Monday, January 3, 2011

Before the Year Starts

ORIGINALLY POSTED DECEMBER 30, 2010

Welcome everyone to my Year of Downsizing. The purpose is to not buy any clothes for an entire year. This means no underwear, no pants, no shirts, no socks.. not that I'll have any issues with the socks part, as anyone who knows me can tell you, socks are evil and must be destroyed. I will also empty out my apartment of unneeded or unused items. ALL unneeded and unused items.

What's the reason for this?


To see if I can do it. To set a personal goal for myself, and to limit the amount of "Stuff" coming into my house. I always say, "I don't have any of 'this' I need to buy some." But really, I have enough dresses, skirts, shirts, shorts and so on that I don't really NEED any of them. Also, I have 2 bins full of stuff at the back of my closet I haven't even looked at in 2 years, and a cabinet full of art supplies and MORE boxes that I haven't even looked at in over a year. Not to mention the "this and that" that's scattered throughout my apartment in various drawers and cabinets.

Now, typically I'm very good at (when the mood strikes) going through drawers and getting rid of things, or going through my closet and giving clothes to good will. I currently have a large trash bag FULL of clothes to take in, and I'm sure if I rewent through my closet, I'd find even more. But going through my WHOLE apartment makes me look at more than just the "junk" drawer in the kitchen or a few clothing items I no longer wear.

So with that said, I shall try to post at least once a week on the update of my cleaning binge and how hard it is not to buy any clothes for this full year.

My mother will be commenting periodically as well, as this was her goal first and I kind of stole it. For her, she'll be going through boxes in the attic rather than the whole house.

No comments:

Post a Comment